CMS Proposes Rule that Reduces Hospital-Acquired Conditions and Promotes Antibiotic Stewardship in Hospitals
On June 13, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced that it is proposing to update the requirements that hospitals and critical access hospitals (CAHs) must meet to participate in Medicare and Medicaid.1
The proposed changes to the requirements, formally called the Conditions of Participation, would modernize and revise the requirements to reflect current standards of practice and support improvements in quality of care by:
- Reducing readmissions;
- Reducing barriers to care;
- Reducing the incidence of hospital-acquired conditions (including healthcare-associated infections);
- Improving the use of antibiotics (including the potential for reduced antibiotic resistance);
Under the proposed rule, hospitals and CAHs would be required to:
- Have hospital-wide infection prevention and control and antibiotic stewardship programs for the surveillance, prevention, and control of healthcare-associated infections and other infectious diseases, and for the appropriate use of antibiotics;
- Designate leaders of the infection prevention and control program and the antibiotic stewardship program respectively, who are qualified through education, training, experience, or certification. This requirement allows for flexibility in staffing in order to suit the needs of each hospital or CAH.
For more information about this proposed CMS rule please visit: https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection.
For a detailed breakdown on the various regulatory and payment programs, view this infographic from The Advisory Board.
Sentri7 can help hospitals to reduce readmissions, hospital-acquired infections and establish and optimize the use of antimicrobials. Take this free antimicrobial stewardship gap analysis survey to determine how your hospital’s antimicrobial stewardship program performs compared to national standards from IDSA and SHEA.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2016). CMS Issues Proposed Rule that Prohibits Discrimination, Reduces Hospital-Acquired Conditions, and Promotes Antibiotic Stewardship in Hospitals [Press release]. Retrieved from https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2016-Fact-sheets-items/2016-06-13.html